b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: The meaning of "the blood of Jezreel" in Hosea 1:4‏

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Leonard Jayawardena <leonardj AT live.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: The meaning of "the blood of Jezreel" in Hosea 1:4‏
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:14:00 +0600

My thanks to the three who responded to my post headed as above.

Unfortunately, however, the point taken up in all three responses concerns a
fact I mentioned only *incidentally* in my post as part of background
information: that understanding "the blood of Jezreel" as a reference to
Jehu's massacre at Jezreel as recorded in 2 Kings 9 results in a
contradiction (or at least an apparent contradiction) between 2 Kings 10:30
and Hosea 1:4. The resolution or otherwise of this problem was not the
purpose of my post, which I should think is more appropriate for a general
Bible discussion forum than B-Hebrew--rather the purpose was to get the list
members to evaluate my "linguistic" argument for taking "the blood of
Jezreel" as a possessive genitive. Let me rephrase my question this way: If I
said that the usage of the expression "the blood of Jezreel" in the Hebrew OT
requires or at least strongly supports understanding "Jezreel" in "the blood
of Jezreel" as a possessive genitive--I have given details of the basis for
this view in the earlier post--how would a Hebrew scholar respond to that?
Would he agree that the translation of this phrase as "the massacre at
Jezreel," or "the blood shed at Jezreel," etc. is influenced more by the
coincidence that Jehu happened to massacre some members of the house of Ahab
in a town called Jezreel than by a consideration of how the phrase "the blood
of X" is used in the Hebrew OT (and extra-biblical Hebrew literature)?

In a future post I will mention a few exegetical reasons why I think "the
massacre at Jezreel" as a translation/interpretation of "the blood of
Jezreel" does not work in Hosea 1:4-5, provided there is sufficient interest
in this subject and the moderator will not object to that.

Leonard Jayawardena
Sri Lanka