b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] code names in Numbers 13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] code names in Numbers 13
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:09:32 +0300

1. $AMU(A BEN ZAKUR. A good listener and good at remembering what he
hears.
2. $APAT BEN XORI. Of good judgement and a noble father.
3. CALEB BEN YEPUNEH. CALEB = C-EL-AB has nothing to do with dog.
Turns, like his father, to YA. Methinks that CALEB is a variant of LEVI
= EL-AB-HI). I also hold it possible that the L in LABAN, LE)AH and
RAXEL are also of such an indication.
4. YIG)AL BEN YOSEP. Good at extricating and deliverance.
5. HO$E(A BIN NUN. Trusts God for help.
6. PALTI BEN RAPU(. Good at sneaking and evasion.
7. GADIEL BEN SODI. Attached, )AGUD, to God and good at covert missions.
8. GADI BEN SUSI. Good with horses.
9. (AMIEL BEN GMALI. Good with camels.
10. STUR BEN MIKAEL. Good at concealing.
11. NAXBI BEN WAPSI. Good at hiding, namely NA-XBI).
12. G(UEL BEN MAKI. Trusts in God's might, GE)UT, but otherwise modest,
or not too tall, like his father.

Isaac

Thanks for the interesting interpretation of the names.

I wouldn't rule out CALEB being "dog". We have a horse and a camel in
the same list.
The name ZEEV also appears as a king's name,
and the prefix ARI appears in names as well. In later Hebrew the name
DOV is common.
As a woman's name we have RXL (yes, I saw your interpretation) and CPRH.
So the "strong" animals are OK as names - and we even have a king's
father named (KBOR !

Yaakov (J) Stein