b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (teach US)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (teach US)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:58:18 -0500

Gabe,
To explain again as briefly as possible: the Israelites could be saying "teach us" because they seek God, seek to repent, despite their feeling that they will be unable to do so without God's help. This fits in with the general idea that "contesting with God" has a positive as well as a negative form (the contextual theme). The other reason they say "us" is because they recognize that the "he" or "it" that is the Evil Inclination is itself an aspect of themselves (of all of US). --Does this not at least make sense, even if it is wrong?

HH: I think it makes sense if you view the Israelites as unbound in time to Isaiah (dealing with the question why they are always backslidden) and looking at the circumstances of Isaiah's Israel as indicative of the role divine discipline has to amend the nation's ways, due to the sinful nature (evil inclination). You quoted one pious comment from Sanhedrin 105 that might go along with the idea.

HH: Let me remind you, though, on the other side, of the comment made by Isaiah's Israel to the prophet that was characterized by cynical, unbelieving rebellion but which nonetheless used pious-sounding words:

Is. 5:19 who say, “Let him make haste,
let him speed his work
that we may see it;
let the plan of the Holy One of Israel hasten to fulfillment,
that we may know it!”

HH: The context shows that this was rebellious unbelief. Ahaz reflected that
spirit of false piety when he said:

Is. 7:12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, and I will not put the LORD to the test.

HH: And Isaiah speaks of the false words elsewhere: