b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] code names in Numbers 13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] code names in Numbers 13
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:54:46 -0700

Yaakov:
The spies were not the same as the princes. Joshua was the only one named
before Numbers 13, and then not as a prince, but as Moses' personal
assistant.

That the names were different from the princes never bothered me, because I
expected that the princes would be considered too important to go out on a
dangerous mission where there was a chance that they would not return.
However, Moses so expected their return that he had his personal assistant
named as one of the spies.

Caleb was sort of a fluke. He was not even Jewish. Therefore, he was
expendable. Yet his devotion to God got him and his family to receive God's
blessings the same as if he were a Jew, and his nephew was named as the
first of the saviors in the book of Judges.

It never crossed my mind that these names might be code names.

Karl W. Randolph.