b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:59:36 +1000

Dear Isaac,

There is nothing really ill-defined about the traditional analysis of BH phonemes to date. However, there is with yours since you mistakenly attribute morphemic status to phonemes. It seems you are not even sure what a morpheme is ("I think that 'morpheme' is just a high sounding coverup for 'I don't know what this thing is'."), yet you persistently attempt etymological reconstruction of every BH lexeme! People do NOT use the term "morpheme" as a cover-up for not knowing what something is, but for a label of the smallest linguistic unit that bears meaning. That is consistent -- there is no cover-up. The only one operating with an ill-defined concept of phoneme and morpheme seems to be you Isaac. Hence it is not surprising that you reach results that only you accept!

Regarding an example, there is a couple of examples in Joüon-Muraoka if you will but look. I also personally gave some examples on how to do it when we were discussing your theory of pronominal compounding which demonstrated your theory to be fallacious.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,

I see that "morphemes are composed of phonemes" so that if a phoneme is ill defined, then a morpheme is also ill defined, and then it results that there is no such thing as "phonemic analysis". I think that 'morpheme' is just a high sounding coverup for 'I don't know what this thing is'. Everything that has form is a morpheme.

The thing is that all this high sounding, ill defined terminology is counterproductive. The structure and composition of the Hebrew word can be fully and successfully discussed in plain English.
I looked up Joüon-Muraoka but saw there nothing to enlighten me.
I still think you should give us some examples as to how to perform a phonemic analysis in Hebrew and point out to us the benefits of such an analysis.

Isaac Fried, Boston University