b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:19:04 +0000

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Jonathan Henry wrote:
> In some Targum manuscripts of Is. 1:27 I find the phrase YSWPNN LH BZKW in
> place
> of the MT's W$BYH BCDQH. I have translated the Targum 'those who are
> consumed
> for her with merit.' Is there a more preferable translation? I appreciate
> your assistance.

The Vulgate has a verb here: http://vulgate.org/ot/isaiah_1.htm
et reducent eam in iustitia = and they shall bring her back in justice

The HUB suggests the source for this translation in the Vulgate is a
reading "w$bwh".
Now, "w$bwh" could be read as "and they will capture her."
This would go along well with a meaning of swp meaning "destroyed".

Thus, the Targum that you are reading seems (in my opinion) to have
translated what it read
as "and they will capture her in justice" with "they will destroy her
with merit."

Yitzhak Sapir