b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Past tense with gutterals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "David H" <ai_ya AT hotmail.co.uk>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Past tense with gutterals
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 07:43:59 +0200

I've been looking at the past tense with gutterals recently, and have some questions concerning pronuciation.
Take for example nata' נטע [with an ayin at the end]; 'she' form of the verb would be נטעה but my problem is, when spoken aloud, in MODERN ISRAELI HEBREW would it be 'notea' with the schwa pronounced as 'e', or simply 'nota' [the same as the masc. form]?

____

Why would it be 'notea'? ------- 'notea', the same as 'shomea' (1S 3:9), is Present masculine, not Past feminine!
And why would it be pronounced 'nota'?
The right form for the Past feminine singular is a-shewa-a. Look for samples at Gn 3:12; Ex 10:7 and Jr 3:8.

Another question is also, ח [chet] seems to be treated as a non-gutteral in some places, take for example, 'bachar' בחר it is supposed to be pronounced 'bacharah' in biblical hebrew with an extra- 'a' because of the gutteral, but I am assuming in modern israeli hebrew many speakers would simply say 'bachrah', is this correct?

_______

It is quite possible that many people in Israel today say 'bachrah'. But I see no reason to say that the right way to pronounce it is not with an 'a': 'bacharah'. As a model look at Gn 18:13: 'tsaHaqah', she laughed. (Look at www.oham.net/out/S-t/S-t0189.html)

Heartly,

Pere Porta
Barcelona

Thanks for the help