b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] (C in Deuteronomy 20:19, "tree" or what?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] (C in Deuteronomy 20:19, "tree" or what?
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 06:25:32 +0200

Karl,

I realize that LXX took this word (C for "tree" as well (xylon). But... to give an answer to your question, I think of a unique possibility: if (C were a verb, it would be the Qal Participle, singular masculine, of Y(C, to counsel or advice.
And then the right vowel with it would be qamats, not tsere.
In some moods (for instance in Imperative), verb Y(C matches the pattern of verbs ayin-waw ((WC <> QWM Gn 13:17).
Then... maybe this is the case also for the Beynony (where this form (C <> QM would be in addition to the usual or regular form having holam (haser or male') with (or after) the first consonant).

Maybe this helps.

Heartly,

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)