b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] repost of question after reasearch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dirk Frulla <fiveacorns AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] repost of question after reasearch
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 14:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

This may be a post duplication, but I have had very spotty internet access
today, and the last time I sent this post, it errored, so I am unsure that it
went through. If it is a duplicate post, please disregard.
Harold,

Thanks for the reply! I am glad that the last round of posts (and some of the
friction by other members) didn't turn you off to the subject. Believe me, I
sometimes fall short in choosing the right words to express my thoughts.
Actually I was meaning to talk about Zechariah as well. I didn't want to
include it in the previous post because the post was getting somewhat
lengthy.

When you say, "Again, the prophecy in Jeremiah about babylon's rule", I agree
with you 100%. That was one of my main points. Jeremiah definitely spoke of
Bablyon's rule, or in other words seventy years "for Babylon." So on this
point we agree.

The scriptures in Zechariah are dated the "eighth month in the second year of
Darius" and the "fourth year of King Darius ...on the fourth day of the ninth
month, which is Chislev" respectively.

The historical consensus puts the reign of Darius from 522 to 486 BC
(although I find some references that state 521 as the starting date for his
reign). That would make the second year of Darius 521/522. By this time, it
would have been 66/67 years since Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 BC. The
angel could talk about the LORD withholding mercy from Judah for "these 70
years" because it was very close to 70 years since the temple was destroyed.
The 70 years mentioned in Zech. are not the same as Jeremiah's 70 years. The
reason I am comfortable saying this is because the scripture in Zechariah do
not reference Jeremiah, however, the scriptures in Daniel and 2 Chronicles do
- which necessitates the need for a connection between Jeremiah, Daniel, and
2 Chronicles. The same would apply to the fourth year of Darius. By this time
it would have been 70/71 years since Jerusalem's destruction. So I find no
contradiction when the verse states the people of the
land had been fasting for "the past seventy years".

So these scriptures too agree with others and the historical consensus. Which
is great!

Thanks!
Dirk Frulla
New York