b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $LY$ meaning "many"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew mailing list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $LY$ meaning "many"
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:48:53 -0700

Dear Yaakov:
Thanks for an interesting question. I looked up words and contexts that
could possibly give other clues, centered on $LY$, but didn't find any.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com> wrote:

> In Psalms 80:6 we have the expression DM(OT $LY$
> usually translated as "many tears" or "tears in great measure".
>
> The word $LY$ is obviously related to the root $L$ for three.
>
> There are primitive languages where the number system is
> limited to ONE, TWO, THREE=MANY.
> Could this $LY$ be an ancient form of "many" ?
>
> This is the only time this word is used in this context in Tanakh, which
makes it a bit difficult to compare other contexts and uses of this word.
Probably most translators scratch their heads over this as well.

> Isaiah 40:12 also has the same word, but this time
> it seems to mean a way of counting the number of grains of sand.
> Once again, this seems to be a throwback to THREE=MANY,
> only here the MANY is very large.
>
> The context here is one of measuring. Apparently this is a measuring
instrument, like a measuring cup? It appears to be a third of a ??. The
context lists specific measurements and measurement tools.

Is this the same word? The spelling is different, though acceptable for the
rules of that time. The concordance lists them as the same.

> We also have the term H$LY$ used as a high-ranking army officer
> (somehow downgraded in modern Hebrew to a "human resources" officer).
> Could this be a captain over MANY soldiers ?
>
> From the context, this is not a commander's second in command, rather the
equivalent of an aide de camp, yet who needs to be an officer so that he can
take over command if necessary.

> Yaakov (J) Stein

One answer may be that this refers to a measuring device, that measures a
certain amount, if Isaiah 40:12 refers to the same instrument. In which
case, the meaning would be "…and you water them (give them to drink) with
tears of a (measuring device)." That measuring device measures a third of a
??? If so, what evidence is there that such a measuring device existed? Any
evidence from cognate languages?

I'm thinking through my fingers as I write this, as this is a puzzling
verse.