b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root BR)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root BR)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:52:08 -0400

Pere,

There is an even earlier such case in Genesis 1: 26 where Elohim is saying NA-(AS-EH )ADAM B-CALM-ENU KI-DM-UT-ENU, but this is clearly in a consultative mood for speaking [so to speak] to his agents. Such is also the case in Genesis 11:7. After the fact it reverts to the singular: (ASAH, WA-YI-BRA), WA-YI-CER, WA-YAPEC, BALAL, etc.
Yaakov Stein's citation of Genesis 20:13 H-IT(-U )OTIY ELOHIM is a greater challenge but I think that here Abraham is politely referring to his and )ABIMELEK's gods.

Isaac Fried, Boston University