b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qoheleth12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ron Snider <sarasotapt AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qoheleth12
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:32:58 -0500

As I said some weeks ago, I'm reading Qohelet chapter 12 and trying to extend my understanding of it.
So verse 1: WZ:KOR )ET BWOR:)EKF...., remember your creator in the days of your youth... has, to my sense, a range of issues to deal with:

1. May we infer from this that chapter 12 was mainly written -or even ONLY written- for young people?

Yes, this entire book is written primarily to the younger generation in order to aid
them in avoiding the mistakes that Solomon has made. It is written in such a manner as
not to be "preachy", since that is surely the quickest way to lose your
audience. He is telling his younger audience that he has essentially done it all, and
here are his conclusions. All the things that younger people might think will bring
happiness, do not bring happiness. Eccles. 2:1-8 This is also seen in the general
tenor of such passages as Eccles. 5:1-8, which gives advice to the younger person about
the serious nature of God and His plan. Further, an older person would have already
observed the oppression (vs, 8) and instructs one that has not experienced it to not be
taken aback by it. Further, Eccles. 11:9-10 which make it explicit that he is
addressing a younger audience. Just as 12:1 does. The actual address using the term
SON in 12:12 documents this as well

He spends a lot of time on the subject of the inevitable demise of every man. This is something that young people generally do not think about much. In fact, he inundates them with the reality of death, which is good for young people, who tend to think they are invincible and will live forever.
He counsels a carpe diem approach to life, since young people are often
seeking to live in the future...can't wait till I get my license, can't wait
to get a job, can't wait to get married, etc. Solomon advises younger people
to learn to take pleasure in the moment and not get caught up living in the
future, or the past for that matter.

This is not to say that an older audience cannot benefit from the truths he
teaches, but the younger audience was his primary target.

2. May we understand the term B:XWROTEYKF not only as the youth time of our life (say from 15 to 30 years of our life) but also as all the time of our life that is before we become aged and/or decrepit?

HALOT indicates that the BAHUR is a fully grown, youngish man that is not married. I would think this covers the ages you asked about. It would not seem to refer to someone say 50 or older. Solomon clearly sees the prime of life as being a relatively short time.
3. What does here the verb "ZKR" really mean?

I would understand it in the normal sense of calling something to mind...keep
your young mind on the fact that God will judge your actions. Eccles. 11:9

Ron Snider,
Pastor-teacher

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Qoheleth12, Ron Snider, 04/21/2008