b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:13:24 +0200

Karl,

I would like to hear from you two or three examples or samples of English verbs that are used both transitively and intransitively.
As regards "to run"... are you sure that it is one of them?
If yes, do you think that:

1. I run 20 miles every week -- is intransitive use
2. I cannot run this program -- is transitive use?

________

The Academy of the Hebrew Language is the highest Authority in all issues regarding the Hebrew Language, be it ancient, moedieval or modern. It is located in Jerusalem. Have you never looked at their website? Do you wish to know its address? If yes, here it is: http://hebrew-academy.huji.ac.il.
Take into account, please, that the decisions of the Academy in language matters or issues have the status of "law" in Israel.

Heartly,

Pere Porta

1. How do you understand a "transitive use" of an INtransitive verb?

There are verbs that can be used as both transitives and intransitives. The
English verb "to run" is one of them. The Hebrew verb RWC has a similar
meaning in the intransitive, and appears from at least one use that it could
be used as a transitive as well.

2. Look at B. in www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d221.html and be aware that this
pattern was approved by the Academy of the Hebrew Language in 1996 as
Niph'al Past, third person singular masculine, of verbs ayin-ayin (RCC) (not
of verbs ayin-waw: RWC)

Who is the Academy of the Hebrew Language that I should listen to them? I
never heard of them before (at least not by that name). If the context
indicates one meaning, should I listen to the context or to some claims by
other people without giving their reasons?

Pere