b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:36:08 +0200

You will notice, as the page states, that T, Q, Z, and D are replaced in the inscription with the Greek letters τ, κ, ζ, and δ. This means that it would be hard to put it DIRECTLY into Hebrew characters, unless you don't mind having a few Greek characters scattered throughout. This can be demonstrated with the first word in the inscription, which is (in Hebrew) אנכי. Notice that instead of כ, the author wrote K, backwards. There are other peculiarities of this inscription. I would like to look at it later when I get back from work. I am heading to work in a couple of minutes and will be gone all day (working from 9:00 to 9:00). Hopefully this will still be entertaining people this evening so that I won't forget to look more plainly into this inscription, which seems really strange.

Yours,
Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel