b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:01:48 +1100

I think from memory there is something of a glossary/index of the symbols in the following:

van der Merwe, Christo H. J. 1990. The Old Hebrew Particle gam: A Syntactic–Semantic Description of gam in Gn–2Kg. Arbeiten zu Text und Sprache im Alten Testament 34. St. Ottilien: EOS Verlag.

However, I am unable to double-check this at the moment as I've lent my copy to a friend.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

I have been working on ancient Hebrew poetry (see Biblical Hebrew Poetry
and Word Play - Reconstructing the Original Oral, Aural and Visual
Experience <http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb.htm>
http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb.htm ) and came across Wolfgang
Richter's enormous /Biblia Hebraica transcripta/ series. The only
problem I have had in understanding his reconstruction of the biblical
texts is due to some of the various signs he has used and his handling
of gemination.

He wrote a series of books in German outlining his approach. However, at
the beginning of his volume on Genesis he boiled it down into a few pages.

My German is non-existent so I asked two native German speakers to
translate the key points. One was a journalist and the other and
academic librarian. They both said that they could not really understand
his terminology.

Does anyone know of an English guide to Richter's symbols and methods?

David Steinberg

Tel. 613-731-5964

http://www.houseofdavid.ca/

David.Steinberg at houseofdavid.ca <mailto:David.Steinberg at houseofdavid.ca>