b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps. 55:23b

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JBarach AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps. 55:23b
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:20:43 -0500

John,

The New American Bible renders the second part Psalms 55:(22)23 as "God will never allow the righteous to stumble", seeing MOT as a variant of MOK [as in Leviticus 25:25], MUG [as in Nahum 1:5], and NTH. The KJV renders it more dubiously as "he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved [moved where?]", seeing MOT as a variant of MU$ [as in Zechariah 14:4]. I would not see MOT as 'shake', certainly not in the prolonged physical sense.
It stands to reason that L-(OLAM refers to God's time. Yet, indeed, in Exodus 21:6 L-(OLAM appears in the sense of only 'life-time'. Psalms 21:5 is open to more than one interpretation.

Isaac Fried, Boston University