b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 12:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Calvin Lindstrom" <pclindstrom AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 12:17
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:27:33 -0800

Dear Calvin:

The verb has a wide range of meaning, to focus on the sexual which is a very
minority use is distorting the understanding. From a concordance, it has a
meaning: "to reach out to touch, used for all touching from soft caresses to
a hard blow intended to injure or kill, also for sexual contact" used also
for such concepts as "a touch of leprosy" or to "touch with a sword in order
to kill", etc. Thus the reading that this is a touch of some sort of plague
fits the context best.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Calvin Lindstrom <pclindstrom AT yahoo.com>