b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YD) used absolutely

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YD) used absolutely
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:30:58 -0800

Dear Pere:
Look at the context: "You are my witnesses … that you may know … that I am
he …" While there is not an object listed directly with the verb, the
context supplies what is to be known.

Incidentally, the following verb carries more the idea of "that you will
trust what I say/show to you", for if it meant "to believe in me" is should
be followed by a BY, not a LY as the verse has. Probably a better
translation would be on the order of "… that you may know, trust, understand
that …"

I hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.