b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shinar" at Genesis 14: 1 Is Not "Sumer", Part I

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shinar" at Genesis 14: 1 Is Not "Sumer", Part I
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:23:28 -0500

I said that we will never know about all of it, which is true, which is an exaggeration, etc. (Although I do believe that when the midrash identified someone, it was not made up.) Except for the people who believe it was all just made up, they are the ones who "know" that none of it was accurate. It's easier just to discard it all.

Shoshanna Walker

Dear Shoshanna,

What is your criterion for telling which parts are "exaggeration and not
entirely accurate" and which parts are accurate? Or when Hazal intended the
midrash to be taken literally and when they intended it to be understood
allegorically?

And please remember to use your full name.

Yigal Levin