b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 21:14 "her shoulder yoke"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinhard G. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 21:14 "her shoulder yoke"
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:35:57 +0100

I know that no one will agree with this next idea, but just for fun I think it is interesting that the
words "Hagar" and"there" could be combined into "their being driven out"
(niphal infinitive?) in Genesis 21:14.

It could say "and he (Abraham) gave to their being driven out her shoulder yoke
and the boy's spade (alef tav)." So he could have given her food, water, a
shoulder yoke, and her son's spade. I know people don't like to regroup the letters,
but in this case it is interesting that the recombined letters fit the situation a
little bit.

Kenneth Greifer
Not so bad idea at all. Verse 14 is an old crux interpretum in object matter an dsyntax.
You betcha there is someone in the old commentaries (late 19th / early 20th) who already tried this. I am anxious to learn who it was.