b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Name "Joseph"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Jan Hagen" <jan.hagen AT gmx.de>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Name "Joseph"
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:16:23 -0800

Dear Jan,

MT, יסף יהוה לי בן אחר
LXX, καὶ ἐκάλεσεν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ιωσηφ λέγουσα Προσθέτω ὁ θεός μοι υἱὸν
ἕτερον.
NRSV, and she named him Joseph,g saying, “May the Lord add to me another
son!”
KJV, The LORD shall add to me another son.

It appears that the MT and LXX are pretty straightforward in terms of the
translation. NRSV treats Rachel's comment as an entreaty, while the KJV treats
Rachel's comment as a statement. The question is without the Massoretic vowel
pointing is whether it יסף (yasaph) should be treated as a participle/verb or
treated as a noun (porper noun =Joseph) from 'saph (asaph- take away from
verse
23)?

Verse 23 reads, "God has taken away my reproach." Rachel is saying that with
birth of Joseph God has taken away the reproach of barrenness. that is
definitely true. What we have here is a definite "pun" on the sound not the
spelling of the words involved. Yoseph is a masculine PROPER NAME (according
BDB, p. pr. m). Thus the play on the word in verse 23 with verse 24, where God
"has taken" the reproach of Rachel by "adding" a son. The difference is the
aleph and the yod.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III