b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:58:28 -0500

It's not a different idea that different names of G-d are used deliberately at different places in the Torah to denote which aspect of G-d is operating.

Shoshanna

This is another/different idea.

It appears that sometimes the Lord lays emphasis on the meaning of his name, like "then you will know that I am YHWH your God, who brought you out...from Egypt" Ex 6:7.

There are two other passages in Isaiah that are similar to Isa, 47:8 and that emphasize the role of the speaker.

"I am YHWH, and there is no other...." Isa. 45:5
"I am God and there is no other...." Isa. 46:9
"I am, and there is none besides me." Isa.47:8,10

If the significance/meaning of his name is being pointed out in 45:5, it is parallel with "God" and "I am", both which lay emphasis on his supremacy.

John C. Wilking

John Wilking <jcwilking AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Sorry I didn't put the "Subject" in the last posting.

I found three times in which ANI occurs twice:
ANI ANI HU, Deut. 32:39
ANI ANI DVRTI, Isa. 48:15
ANI ANI ATROF, Hos. 5:14

once with ANOKI:
ANOKI ANOKI HU, Isa. 43:25

These seem to be simple intensifiers. Would it be strange to think of AHYH...AHYH as intensive in nature?

John C. Wilking

John Wilking <jcwilking AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Is it possible to see more semantic similarities between AHYH in Exodus 3:14 and ANI in Isaiah 47:8,10 other than that both are translated as EGW EIMI and "I am?" Does ANI ever occur twice like ANOKI(Sp?)...ANI?

John C. Wilking