b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. "Pharaoh" and "Pithom"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. "Pharaoh" and "Pithom"
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 00:41:28 +0200

Jim, I'll give you another example of the same kind of phenomenon: The name "Ashur" (Assyria) was borrowed into Hebrew fairly early, at a time when the Assyrians and others were still pronouncing the "sh" sound. By the late Iron Age, the Assyrians themselves had begun pronouncing the same sign as "s". Thus, by the time of King Essarhadon (682-669 BCE), whose name was spelled "Ashur-ahhe-iddina", what the Hebrews actually heard was "Assur-ahhe-iddin", which was rendered "Assarhedon", spelled with a Samekh. His kingdom, however, was still spelled Ashur, with a Shin.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>