b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:09:49 -0500

Yigal,

I am stunned. Does my right to express "very unconventional ideas about the Hebrew language" need be "consistently defended" by the moderators? Is b-Hebrew a list for only "conventional", or moderately unconventional, ideas about the the Hebrew language?
I did not ridicule someone's words, I have just repeated someone's words verbatim. I really thought this someone means what he says. It was, and still is, obvious to me that this is how he typifies the "energic nun". If the distinguished member of this list thinks that his choice of words was wrong [unfortunate?], then he can re-explain himself.
It is really not clear to me how the "choice of words" is distinct from the "scholarly nature of the debate" and the "contending with the arguments themselves".
I don't think it is "impossible to carry on a discussion with me." Difficult maybe, but not impossible. A scholarly discussion need not be easy, and one should go through it calmly and with fortitude. A scholarly interchange is decidedly not an ego trip. If you think my "unconventional ideas about the Hebrew language" are wrong, then prove them so to me and I will agree with you right away.
On the other hand, you may be right that I should not enter into any debate with some members of this list.

Isaac Fried, Boston University