b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 45:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JBarach AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 45:9
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:24:13 EST

B-Haverim --

I see that several commentaries and some translations suggest that מני in
Psalm 45:9 is a contraction of מנים, "strings," which is a reference to
stringed instruments in Psalm 150:4.

There are, however, some who take מני simply to be from מן, as a
duplication of the מן at the beginning of the line (as in Isa. 59:18, where
the
particle is repeated for emphasis: "according to their deeds, according to
[them]
will he repay"), so that the sense here is "From palaces of ivory, from
[them] they have made you glad."

It seems that many modern commentaries go with the former and it does seem
to make sense ("From palaces of ivory stringed instruments have made you
glad"), but ... is there any other passage where מניappears as a contraction
of
מנים? I suspect not. Are such contractions, dropping the ם at the end of
a plural, common? Common enough that this is likely here in Psalm 45?

And what about the repetition of the particle? Sure it happens in Isa.
59:18, but ... does it happen elsewhere? Again: Is it common enough to make
it
likely here in Psalm 45?

Thanks for your help!

John

products.

  • [b-hebrew] Psalm 45:9, JBarach, 11/20/2007