b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1 & Gen 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Martin Shields" <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1 & Gen 2
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 03:15:15 -0700

Martin:

I almost didn't answer your last message because it appears to me that
you are playing word games, i.e. you are not serious. If I get the
same sort of response, I won't answer it. The only that appears to
merit response is the following paragraph:

On 10/31/07, Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I'm not claiming that תולדות cannot refer to anything except
> "generations." I'm arguing against your claim that it has a very
> specific alternate meaning. As I said, your reading may seem obvious
> to you, but there's no evidence to support its viability nor the claim
> that it would be obvious to "the ancients."
>
> Martin Shields,
> Sydney, Australia.

And what evidence do you have that the general idea of bringing forth
cannot include the idea of bringing forth of a message or narrative?
And what's to preclude a mention of the general action of bringing
forth mentioned in context with a written message being readily
understood?

I suspect there's more to your objection than linguistic, which is why
some of your responses didn't make sense to me or worthy of a
response.