b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1 & Gen 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1 & Gen 2
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:20:39 +1100

Karl,

That's if you assume that TWLDWT always refers to generations. But
what I noticed is that the verb itself is not always connected with
giving birth, sometimes it refers to the broader sense of bringing
forth, so the derivative TWLDWT is not necessarily connected with
generations. Once that's accepted, then the anomalous uses make sense.

In these uses, I connect the noun with the broader meaning of bringing
forth. These are the things that the author wants to impart, to bring
forth. As such, the noun has no connections with generations.

I'm afraid it still doesn't make sense to me! If the usage is supposedly based on an aNE precedent but is then used anomalously, how were the readers meant to identify it? Even if תולדות is "not always connected with giving birth," is it ever connected with authoring a text (from a quick search I can't even find anywhere ילד is used in such a context)? There are certainly other ascriptions of authorship in the Hebrew Bible, but none to my knowledge that uses this sort of terminology. The aNE colophons which you claim lend support to your position do not lend it any support because they use language which is unambiguous and which more closely reflects explicit ascriptions to authorship in the HB (i.e. the ones I've seen do not use this sort of language either).

All this suggests to me that there's no basis for your claim aside from the fact that it makes some sense to you.

Regards,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.