b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Academic Debate

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Academic Debate
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:21:42 -0700

On 31 Oct 2007 at 12:17, Kevin Riley wrote:

> [...]

It is indeed, but in a case like this it's a reasonable one because, in a
very real sense, it's
virtually all we have. We either begin with the assumption that it's
accurate (as you say,
however one defines that term) and go from there, perhaps making necessary
corrections
from fields such as archaeology (your term "historical record" is confusing,
I think you meant
"archaeological record" because "historical record" would naturally include
the written
materials) as conclusions become solid. And there's the rub: virtually
nothing in the
archaeological record that can't be challenged by somebody. A says the
archaeology
supports the written record, B says no, it doesn't. C says it doesn't, D
says yes, it does. If
we're going to make any progress in our understanding of history, we have to
start
*somewhere.* If we start with nothing, we end up nowhere. Hence, beginning
with the at
least reasonable accuracy of the written record is a presupposition, but it's
both a
reasonable one and a necessary one.

Karl can answer for himself if he has anything else he wants to address, I
just wanted to
jump in on that particular question.

Dave Washburn
Why do it right when you can do it again?