b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Mowledeth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Mowledeth
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:18:56 EDT

Karl W. Randolph and Isaac Fried:
Related to your discussion of YLD, what is the exact meaning of
MWLDX/mem-vav-lamed-daleth-cheth/mowledeth?
1. I view MWLDX as meaning "father's descendants".
2. Esther 2: 10, 20 distinguishes MWLDX from )M/aleph-mem/am. I do not
think that MWLDX means "people" or "relatives". Rather, I see MWLDX as being
limited to one specific set of relatives, namely the issue/YLD from/M one's
father: MWLDX. The English translation of "kindred" is not too bad, if
"kindred" is taken in its narrowest possible English context, namely being
limited to
the descendants of a common ancestor, with the accent being on
descendants/issue/those born, and with there being no reference to, much less
any accent
on, one's ancestors (as opposed to the word "am").
3. Ezekiel 16: 3 distinguishes mekuwrah/origin/nativity/digging out metals
from a mine from MWLDX. I do not view MWLDX as meaning "birth" or
"native",
though it's sometimes translated that way. I see MWLDX as meaning "father's
descendants".
4. I am particularly interested in the precise meaning of MWLDX at Genesis
11: 28 and Genesis 12: 1.
5. In any event, MWLDX never includes one's ancestors, does it?
6. MWLDX has a very different meaning than )M/am/people, doesn't it? I see
)M/am/people as always including ancestors and MWLDX as never including
ancestors. Both are referring to "relatives", but MWLDX is referring to one
narrow subset of relatives, in my view: "those brought forth [from one's
father]", namely, "father's descendants".
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois