b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RUTH Re: Hebrew as a Spoken Language vs. Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RUTH Re: Hebrew as a Spoken Language vs. Aramaic
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 02:37:38 -0700

Shoshanna:

Looking at the dictionary built into my Mac, I get the following:

redaction |riˈdak sh ən|
noun
the process of editing text for publication.
• a version of a text, such as a new edition or an abridged version.
DERIVATIVES redactional |- sh ənl| adjective
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from French rédaction, from late Latin
redactio(n-), from redigere 'bring back.'

In both French and German, it is the word for "edit" as at a
newspaper. I suspect that it came into English because people wanted
to give a higher cachet to the ancient editors than using the same
word applied to newspaper editing.

Karl W. Randolph.