b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why a different vowel spelling?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why a different vowel spelling?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 06:33:09 +0100

In Ps 144:14 we find YWC)T (female who goes out) . It has tsere under tsade.
In Song 8:10 we find MWC)T (preceded by K) (female who finds). It has tsere under aleph.

Both are Qal Participle, feminine singular, of verbs lamed"aleph, namely they belong to the same pattern.

Why in the first the tsere is under the second root consonant while in the second the tsere is under the third root consonant, the second one having sheva? What is the reason for this difference?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)