b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root SLX and the word SLIXAH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root SLX and the word SLIXAH
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:37:42 -0400

Shoshana,

All I say is that SLIXAH, 'forgiveness', never appears in the Hebrew bible as an act between men.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Sep 22, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

That is only true for sins between man and G-d, not for sins between
man and man - man has to forgive those.

Shoshanna

All,

Now the the Jewish holiday of yom kippur, the day of atonement, is
over it is worth recalling that the root SLX, and the derived word
SLIXAH, 'forgiveness', pertains in the Hebrew bible to a divine act
only. Only God can perform the act of SLIXAH. It is not in the power
of one man to forgive another man.
In Jeremiah 5:1
שׁוֹטְטוּ בְּחוּצוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַם
וּרְאוּ-נָא וּדְעוּ וּבַקְשׁוּ
בִרְחוֹבוֹתֶיהָ אִם-תִּמְצְאוּ
אִישׁ אִם-יֵשׁ עֹשֶׂה מִשְׁפָּט
מְבַקֵּשׁ אֱמוּנָה וְאֶסְלַח, לָהּ
"Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and
know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if
there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I
will pardon it" [KJV],
is, in my opinion, also God's words.

Isaac Fried, Boston University