b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] British Library Direct prices

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] British Library Direct prices
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:53:49 +1000

I purchased a couple hard-to-get journal articles through this service a month or so ago. It's a great prompt service. I had the documents delivered by download, which come as an Adobe Digital Editions files. The file itself allows for one printing, then the printing option expires (in reality you may get two chances to print the document). I was quite pleased to finally have the references I had been chasing for some time. I'd recommend the service to others.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

I do not understand this low price, but in the interests of
sharing information concerning reasonably-priced accessibility:

A website called "British Library Direct" is offering what appears
to be the complete text of Russell Gmirkin's
book, _Berossus and Genesis, Manetho and Exodus_ (T and T
Clark, 2006), for 13.25 pounds (5 copyright plus 8.25) [= USD $26.69]
for Adobe download, or 14.50 pounds for hard copy delivered
by mail (5 copyright plus 9.50) [= USD $29.22]. Compare this
book at $140.00 from Amazon; $97.86 from Eisenbraun's.

The site appears to think Gmirkin's book is an "article", but
the bibliographic information is of the book and "all" pages of it
are promised for the price.

The site is at
http://direct.bl.uk/

After discovering this price on Gmirkin's book, I checked and
to my further shock discovered my own 800-plus page tome
on Pesher Nahum, available on Amazon for
$200.00 and from Eisenbraun's for $129.50, is offered for the same
price (13.25 pounds [$26.99] download, 14.50 pounds [$29.22]
hard copy mailed) for "all" pages.

If this is for real for these two books, who knows what else is
available from this site at these prices?

It requires a free login. I have not personally verified through an
order that this is for real.

The stated objective of the website is "to make the world's
intellectual, scientific and cultural heritage accessible, and to
bring the collections of the British Library to everyone - at work,
school, college or home."

British Library Direct is identified as a new platform offering a
fresh online interface with the British Library's document supply
service, said to be the leading document provider in the world.

The website's promise seems straightforward: "order full text quickly and
easily using your credit card".

If there is a merciful Deity, please let this not be too good to
be true... (with apologies to the wonderful people at
Eisenbrauns whose prices seem slightly undercut).

Greg Doudna
Bellingham, Washington USA