b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:30:25 -0400

I recommend Avraham Even-Shushan's Hebrew - Hebrew dictionary, "Milon
Chadash"

He gives Biblical and Talmudic references to each example of usage.

He seems to emphasize the meaning to profane, change holiness to profane

He also mentions to play as a Chalil, and also to pierce, to begin, space, a person not eligible for priesthood - and more.

Shoshanna

I sometimes get the impression from this group that some members
assume a theological bias on the part of scholars invalidates their work.
(Some of these are also so outdated I hate to use them but at least I can
afford them.) I can understand the sentiment but that does make it difficult
to maintain communication on theologically charged passages. So, here is my
question. Which lexicons and other resources are mutually acceptable to both
our Jewish and Christian scholars who participate on this forum? While I'm
asking, remember my resources are limited. I don't exactly live in the
middle of nowhere. Nowhere is about fifteen miles down the road. I would
appreciate it if our Jewish friends could identify any online resources they
find acceptable.

  • [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?, Shoshanna Walker, 09/09/2007