b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: joel AT exc.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:09:08 -0400 (EDT)

>I am having difficulty accepting this theory of shewa. How do you
>account for the fact that ancient Greek and Latin transliterations of
>Hebrew names often render the shewa as a full vowel?

If we are to go by the LXX, we have to throw out a lot of the
Masoretic grammar.

Still, the most commonly cited example of a vocal shewa is S'DOM,
which becomes SODOM in the LXX. It's a bad example, beause SD--- is
an impossible start to a Greek word. (We see similarly issues in the
American pronunciation of "Sri Lanka." Almost everyone says
"Shree..." because Enlglish words cannot start with the sounds SR---.)
This shows us how nuanced the evidence can be.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.lashon.net/JMH
http://caje33.lashon.net