b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is it root consonant?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, "hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is it root consonant?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:12:38 +0200

> In YWOD"(A (Rt 3:11), it is clear that Y is root consonant.
> But, what about YWCAR, third word in Isa 54:17?
> Is here the yod a root consonant -or radical- too?
> This question is intended not as a byzantine one but in order to make
> clear where to put this type of word (YWCAR) in the Hebrew Schemary.

YS -- Yes, it is.
PP - Are you quite sure that the yod in YWCAR is a root consonant, namely the first consonant of the basic YFCAR?
I'm not.
Maybe you will ask: And why not?

In Lev 20:10 (YWMAT) and Isa 28:27 (YWDA$) we have to paralel or analogous verb forms (Huph'al imperfective, 3rd person singular) where initial YW is, to my sense, clearly a prefix and by no means belonging to the root. So, why would the yod/yud in YW of YWCAR be the same consonant we find in the basic YFCAR (Is 44:10)?

YS - What is a Schemary?
PP - It is a work that shows nearly eight thousand patterns ("schemes") of the Hebrew language in a very logical, simple, clear and understandable way.

Of these, nearly one thousand have already been uploaded on the net. The rest is being uploaded by steps, a little every day.

It offers both the pointed and unpointed script or the pattern and as many explanations as different functions every pattern has. All this, with examples -----taken from the biblical text (if there are some) or from non-biblical text----- so that the user may fully understand the pattern and its practical behaviour.

It is a quite unique work.

The URL of the Hebrew Schemary is www.oham.net.

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)