b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaac Fried's Theory (was Karl's lexicon)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaac Fried's Theory (was Karl's lexicon)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 08:44:59 +0100

IF: Sorry, but I do not understand this. Is "phonetic string" the same
bombast for 'sentence'?

JCR: Sentences are also arguably convention. At school
I was always told off for starting sentences with 'and'
or 'but'. But the large percentage of utterances in
natural language that begin with 'and' or 'but' seems
to contradict such an arbitrary convention.

IF: You go on to say "Any one hearing such a statement [namely SHAMARNU]
would immediately wonder 'Who is the we?' and 'What did they guard?'
Right! This proves that SHAMARNU is meaningful since it engenders
meaningful questions.

JCR: I don't mean to say it is completely meaningless.

IF: SHAMARNU consists of two words that came
together SHAMAR and NU. Moreover, I see NU itself as consisting of
the two words N-U, with N indication existence, and U something that
is noisy, like me.

JCR: So were do you get the idea of plurality? With a
cognitively oriented model of understanding such
presents no problem. The sound 'nu' is associated with
the cognitive concept of the speaker and associates.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Isaac Fried's Theory (was Karl's lexicon), JAMES CHRISTIAN READ, 09/01/2007