b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Arabic 'beats'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Arabic 'beats'
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:38:59 +0300

I agree with what you say here, Uri. As far as I know, يَكْتُبُ (yaktubu) is
made of three syllables: yak- (ending with a ْ indicating the close of
the syllable), -tu-, and -bu. I just wanted to state my agreement. :)

Jason Hare
Rishon Le-Tzion (Israel)

Uri Hurwitz wrote:
"....E.g. Arabic Yaktubu = Ya-KT-TU-BU -four beats, one per consonant. Salaam = Sa-la-a-m -4 beats = one beat per
consonant released and one for the long vowel...."
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. In your first example there are three syllables: YAK -TU- BU. No such thing as "KT".
In the second example two syllables SA -LAM, the second with a
long vowel ,and therefore transliterated sometimes with two 'A' s
Uri Hurwitz