b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis - Vowels or Consonants

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis - Vowels or Consonants
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:01:30 +0100

PB: James, you didn't read all those books I gave you yet.

JCR: That may be closely related to the fact that I don't
have them ;-) Seriously though, while I will keep your
list for future reference (and I'm sure web surfers who
come across it in the archives will appreciate it as
well) I'm in the Ukraine at the moment and my current
chance of getting hold of any of those books in the near
future are totally non existent. I'll try and remember
for next time in the UK and near an institution with a
decent library.

IF: In this stage the spoken dialects "diphthongized" a certain number of
vowels so /aleph/, /he/, /yod/, and /waw/ became semi-consonants,
used often to indicate diphthongs after accented vowels in open
syllables. The /aleph/ functions as a glottal stop while the /he/ is
a glottal off-glide,

JCR: My personal theory on /aleph/ and /he/ is that
they were originally very much pronounced consonants.
Laziness of speech could have led to beginning /aleph/
and final /he/ not being pronounced and leaving only
the vowel in the pronunciation. As scribes were to
copy the text 'as is' they would not have had the
authority to leave out any /aleph/ or /he/ just because
it wasn't actually pronounced any more.

Any thoughts?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation

leave out any /aleph/ or /he/ just because
it wasn't actually pronounced any more.

Any thoughts?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation

  • [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis - Vowels or Consonants, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ, 08/29/2007