b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:36:53 -0400

>>Do you have a view either way? I'd be interested in
>>hearing what people think about Dr Davila's claims

Here is my view in short.

Cross and Freedman's book pioneered the study of the vowel letters from early inscriptions rather than attempting to analyze the MT. Their basic theory is that early NW Semitic orthography was purely consonantal. This system was rigorously maintained in Phoenician orthography. Hebrew orthography followed consonantalism through the period of heavy Phoenician influence until the 10th century. However, shortly after they borrowed the alphabet (11th-10th centuries) the Aramaeans altered the basic principles of spelling by developing a system for the indication of final vowels and later this was extended to represent medial vowels.

Now the problem is that we really don't have that many early inscriptions. From what we have a linear model is arguable, but how do we know that our data is controlling our model and not the other way around? Zevit argues in his introduction, as do others, that Ugaritic writing used vowel letters beyond the three aleph signs and this implies that marking vowels could have already been a part of the cultural milieu at an early point. Therefore some scholars have challenged the linear "stammbaum" model of orthographic development in favor of a wave theory of change. That is, rather than see one main type of orthography (Phoenician) which is branching off into various developing types (Hebrew, Aramaic, etc), the orthography could have diversified widely early, from which point all the various national scripts are innovating and cross-pollinating each other. One is trying to use more creative vowel marking, one prefers to be more consonantal, etc. Phoenician just happens to have the most prestige in the early stages and it happens to be consonantal. The Tell Fekhariyeh inscription seems to give evidence for this process from an epigraphic perspective (see the Kaufman article in your bibliography). Werner Weinberg also argues that orthographic development was neither linear nor consistent demonstrated by the fact that no standard spelling system ever emerges.

Language change in general does not tend to be linear and predictable, but it is pushed and pulled by innovation within and influence from neighboring language groups. Thus, while on a macro level I agree with the general development from consonantal --> final vowels --> medial vowels, I think that without text evidence it is hard to tell at any given time and in any given community which sort of orthography would be practiced.

Now, leave the issue of orthographic development aside, and look at text transmission. The earliest texts we have are the DSS which leaves us with centuries of undocumented transmission (unless you are an extreme minimalist). We don't know what type of orthography was preferred in the community where the original texts were compiled, but we also don't know to what extent the texts were updated and revised spelling-wise until they reached a point of canonization (or after for that matter). It is just as possible that that maters were removed because they preferred consonantal spelling as it is that they were added to because they preferred plene spelling. In Barr's study he finds a small set of words with fixed spelling, but for the most part there seems to be no rhyme or reason for why a certain word gets a certain mater. He concludes that scribes liked to vary spelling.

So I see no way to in general to control our decisions to remove maters or to divide words differently unless there is other textual evidence or the text just doesn't make sense as is. Sure, the text we have could very well be "wrong", but we don't have access to an "ur- text" and I don't think pulling off all the vowel letters gives us a "pure" text since we don't know for sure that the original text was purely consonantal. Now, are pulling off vowel letters and changing word division fair game if you do have a good reason? Sure, but they should not be seen automatically as secondary developments.

Peter Bekins