b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alphabetizing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: Ken Penner <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alphabetizing
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:55:01 -0500

Does anyone know what the Academy of the Hebrew Language standards are in this regard?

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Ken Penner wrote:

In Unicode order, the Shin dot (U+05C1) comes before the Sin dot (U+05C2),
but in MS keyboard layout order, Sin dot (Caps-Shift-9) comes before Sin dot
(Caps-Shift-0). MS Word sorts according to the Unicode order (Shin before
Sin), with priority given to the vowels over the Shin/Sin dot. Whether that
matches Academy of the Hebrew Language standards or not, I can't say.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies
Acadia Divinity College,