b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:37:56 -0700

Bruce:

On 6/28/07, Bruce Meltzer <bmeltzer1243 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
The term "mi pesha ami nega lamo" in Isaiah 53:8 is usually translated as: "from the
transgressions of my people, a plague befell them (lamo)." The "them" is usually understood
to be the servant i.e. Israel.

"Usually translated"? Not being a connoisseur of translations, I
cannot say that I have sampled all, nor even a large number, but of
those I have seen into different languages, only one is so translated,
which in my limited sample makes it an exception to the rule, not
"usually".