b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 6:16, was definite article in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:51:54 -0700

Isaac:

The reasons I consider this discussion closed are contained in your
paragraph below. That is a statement of philosophy, not linguistics. I do
not think there is any support for that philosophic position within the
linguistics of Biblical Hebrew.

While there are many nouns even in Biblical Hebrew that are not connected
with any roots (some of them are recognizably loanwords, how many of those
not recognizably loanwords yet are?), those that are connected with roots
invariably show a connection to the function, i.e. action, indicated by the
root. This is what I notice as a lexicographer, not a philosophic
presupposition that I have imposed onto Hebrew.

What you describe may be true of modern Israeli Hebrew, but that's a
language that I don't know.

Karl W. Randolph.