b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] David's article

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] David's article
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:59:55 -0500

Dear list,

I apologize. I should have written HPLY+ to represent "one who escaped" in Gen 14:13 (or "those who escaped").

I should add that Ehrensvärd takes the definite article with HPLY+ in Ezek 33:21 as anaphoric reference back to chapter 24:26-27 (I give the verses below).

That's fine but does not explain the definite articles with the phrase in Ezek 24:26-27. He translates "the band that had escaped" in chapter 33, but that translation would not suit chapter 24. Such a translation would imply that everyone who escaped Nebuchadnezzar's siege of Jerusalem came to Ezekiel by the Kebar River in Babylon. This makes no sense to me.

Ezek. 24:26 on that day, one who has escaped will come to you to report
to you the news.
Ezek. 24:27 On that day your mouth shall be opened to the one who has
escaped, and you shall speak and no longer be silent. So you shall be a
sign to them; and they shall know that I am the LORD.
Ezek. 33:21 ¶ In the twelfth year of our exile, in the tenth month, on
the fifth day of the month, someone who had escaped from Jerusalem came
to me and said, “The city has fallen.”
Ezek. 33:22 Now the hand of the LORD had been upon me the evening before
the fugitive came; but he had opened my mouth by the time the fugitive
came to me in the morning; so my mouth was opened, and I was no longer
unable to speak.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

  • [b-hebrew] David's article, Harold Holmyard, 06/18/2007