b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Imperfect Nif'al 2FS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Imperfect Nif'al 2FS
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:27:51 -0500

Here's the list that the book gives on page 414:

3MS YIN.FG"$
3FS T.IN.FG"$
2MS T.IN.FG"$
2FS T.IN.F$IY
1CS )EN.FG"$
3MP YIN.FG:$W.
3FP T.IN.FGA$:NFH
2MP T.IN.FG:$W.
2FP T.IN.FGA$:NFH
1CP NIN.FG"$

The 2FS is that one that has me wondering if its a typo since it has the Gimel (the middle root letter) dropped.
So is this a typo, or some odd grammar thing that the book fails to explain?

For those of you not familiar with the Michigan Encoding, here is a key for the encoding above:
) = Aleph . = Dagesh
G = Gimmel : = Sheva
H = He " = Sere
W = Vav A = Patach
Y = Yod F = Qamas
N = Nun E = Segol
$ = Shin I = Chireq

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Brak wrote:

I'm confused. What is NGF
F in the Michigan Encoding is the Qamas.
Did you mean something else?

The grammar book uses NG# for the examples in the table showing the various forms.
When you say that " NG$ does not come in Nifaal form " do you mean that NG# can never be in that form, or that it just doesn't appear in the Bible in that form?

If its the former: why would the grammar book use that word? If its the later: what would it be theoretically?

I don't have the book in fornt of me now, but maybe when I do tomorrow I can give the examples of the Imperfect Nif'al forms of the Pe Nun from the book. Maybe some context will help with the question.

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Isaac Fried wrote:

John,

NG$ does not come in a Nifaal form but NGS does. For NGF it is:
NIGAFT = N-I-GAF-T (you, singular, female, past)
TINAGFIY = T-I-NAGF-IY (you, singular, female, future)
The A vowel is just a puff of air. The NI$MAR = NI-$MAR form contains the personal pronoun [or the pair of personal pronouns N-I for the subject and the object] NI [kind of ANI or AN-HI] for the person performing the act $MR upon itself. Thus, NI$MAR is 'he guarded himself'. Roots, such as NG$, NGS, NGF, that have the misfortune to start with the letter N lose one N, or one N gets to play at once the two roles of radical and pronoun. So, instead of *NINGAF it is NIGAF. To indicate a female actor Hebrew adds the personal pronoun AT [shortened to a mere T] to the end of the verb, to have NIGAFT. In an intended action, NI is replaced by TI [kind of ATI or AT-HI] to produce TINAGFIY = T-I-NAGF-IY, 'you will defeat yourself'---directly on indirectly. Notice that in the QAL form it is TI$MRIY = TI-$MR-IY and NI$MOR = NI-$M-O-R. I tend to think the inserted -O- is HO = HU for the object, the thing that we propose to guard.

Isaac Fried, Boston University