b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] psalm 51 and King David's sin
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:52:28 +0000

Bill,

We don't know if King David told Uriah to go home to be with his wife euphemistically like you said because he wanted to kill Uriah someplace away from the other soldiers, or because he wanted Uriah to be with his wife to cover up her pregnancy by David. Since Uriah did not go home, we don't know what David would have done next.

I know that Nathan the prophet said that David sinned by taking Uriah's wife and having him killed, but I don't think it was considered adultery and murder technically because Uriah was a Hittite, and they were not supposed to marry Hittites, but kill them. Maybe David sinned morally, by having a man killed for his wife, but not legally, because he was allowed to kill the Hittite. Maybe that is why Psalm 51 says that David sinned in G-d's eyes because G-d knew he did it for the wrong reason.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Greifer

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507