b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Geminate roots in vav-consecutive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Geminate roots in vav-consecutive
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 21:27:15 -0400

Hi James,

Jerry has given you a list of verses with geminate roots in the Piel stem. At least I think they are Piel. I didn't check them all. I am sure none of them is Qal stem.

You will also find both twins appearing in the Hitpael stem like the fairly common word for praying, as in Gen 20:17 vayyitpallel, using the root PLL. See also 1Ki 17:21 vayyitmoded, which is technically Hitpolel stem, I guess.

I couldn't find any in the Pual stem even though I guess that there are some. ;-)

Like I said, the only wayyiqtol of a geminate root in Qal stem that has both twin letters appearing requires nun for a first root letter. The only example I found is Gen 31:40, vattiddad, wherein the root is NDD.

Shalom,
Bryan

James Spinti wrote:
Perhaps I should be more specific. I am thinking of a root such as SBB.
In the wayyiqtol form, be it qal or otherwise, would it ever be written
with both Beths, i.e., wayyisbob? If so, can you give me a chapter and
verse? I don't have Bibleworks, Accordance, etc., and am not even sure
they would give me the answer.

Thanks,
James

James Spinti