b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 149:7 - Leningrad Codex Varient: Bal-Umim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Brak" <Brak AT neo.rr.com>, "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 149:7 - Leningrad Codex Varient: Bal-Umim
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:22:03 +0200

I was wondering of the word )UM.IYM was related to the word "mother".

Now you state that L:)OM and I would assume you would also include the
words in question )UM.IYM and L:)UM.IYM is most likely not related to
)UM.IYM and )UM.FH
I was wondering why you think that. To my limited knowledge it would
appear that )UM.IYM was the basis for L:)UM.IYM and that in fact
L:)UM.IYM should be morphed as L:/)UM.IYM to mean "to people" or "for
people"? Or would it be some grammar thing in which the L: is doing
something to the word instead of adding "to"?

Dear BH listers, and mainly John Steven,

Related to the issue you're dealing with some days ago, I found an interesting case similar to yours.

These are two identical words that come from different bases and, unlike your case, mean opposite or, better, nearly opposite things:

1. In Psalm 39:14 -------- HF$A( ------- look away! ------- base: $F(FH, gaze (Gen 4:5)
2. In Isa 6:10 ------------- HF$A( ------- blind! -------------- base: $F(A(, be blind (not in the Bible)

Perhaps this can help casting some light on your question.

Pere Porta