b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:34:06 -0400

Hi Karl,

Thank you for sticking with me on this.

K Randolph wrote:

<noted and snipped>

Some on the list may wonder how my assertion that _labo' lipney_ would
impact translation if it is understood as expressing an audience-scene.
See the NIV, the TNK, and my own translation below.

NIV Gen 6:13 So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all
people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.

WRONG!

TNK Gen 6:13 God said to Noah, "I have decided to put an end to all
flesh, for the earth is filled with lawlessness because of them

WRONG!

BETTER:

So God said to Noah, "I realize the end of all life approaches because
the earth is filled with violence from them..."

Shalom,
Bryan

How does your translation fit the other uses of the phrase, even in
the sense of audience-scene?

Good question. The "I realize" is meant as an equivalent for the Hebrew idiom in the way we say, "a thought came to me," or "an idea was presented to me."

There is nothing quite like Gen 6:13's use of _ba' lepanay_ anywhere else in Tanakh. Hence my original post.

_labo' lipney_ in its multitude of forms is always (except for Gen 6:13) translated in the most straightforward of ways, that is, in some form of "to come before." I agree with all of the following, (quoting the NIV):

Exodus 28:30 ... whenever _he enters the presence of the LORD_
Leviticus 15:14 On the eighth day he must take two doves or two young pigeons and _come before the LORD_
2 Samuel 20:8 ... _Amasa came to meet them._
1 Kings 1:23 ..._So he went before the king_ and bowed with his face to the ground.
see also 1 Ki 1:28, 32
1 Chronicles 16:29 ...Bring an offering and _come before him_
Esther 8:1 _And Mordecai came into the presence of the king_
Psalm 79:11 May the groans of the prisoners _come before you_
and others

Many modern translations have been unwilling to translate Gen 6:13 plainly "an end of all flesh has come before me," presumably because readers may not understand. See:

ESV Genesis 6:13 And God said to Noah, "_I have determined to make an end of all flesh_, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

NIV Genesis 6:13 So God said to Noah, "_I am going to put an end to all people_, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

NRS Genesis 6:13 And God said to Noah, "_I have determined to make an end of all flesh_, for the earth is filled with violence because of them; now I am going to destroy them along with the earth.

TNK Genesis 6:13 God said to Noah, "_I have decided to put an end to all flesh_, for the earth is filled with lawlessness because of them: I am about to destroy them with the earth.

In all these cases, the translators have determined that the Hebrew phrase (_kets kol basar ba' lepanay_) expresses YHWH's decision to annihilate all flesh. At the risk of waxing redundant and self-important I will reiterate my disagreement: a proper understanding of the Hebrew idiom indicates the annihilation of all flesh came (presented itself) to YHWH as an inevitability due to the violent and perverse state of affairs.
We may think that YHWH needed to act before the world would completely destroy itself.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine