b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:22:15 -0500

Dear Kenneth,

I should get a good Hebrew grammar book, but they are either too easy or too hard. The ones I can understand don't go into all of the details. The ones that go into all of the details of Hebrew grammar are written by scholars, and scholars seem to like to use the hardest words they can think of even if they are only explaining simple things. I would need a translator to understand what scholars write. I am not putting down scholars, but they expect people to be as educated as they are, and they don't explain higher level things using easy words.

HH: What you need are some so-called "intermediate Hebrew" tools. A book that would be fun is _A Workbook for Intermediate Hebrew_, by Robert B. Chisholm, Jr. It combines exegesis of Jonah and Ruth with grammatical pointers:

http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Intermediate-Hebrew-Exegesis-Commentary/dp/0825423902

A very inexpensive grammar is Intermediate Hebrew Grammar (paperback), by Andrew E. Steinmann (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Hebrew-Grammar-Andrew-Steinmann/dp/1589396111

Yours,
Harold Holmyard